Disgraced movie tycoon Harvey Weinstein was arrested and charged with rape and sex-crimes charges at a Manhattan police precinct Friday morning, police said.
He arrived at the First Precinct shortly before 7:30 a.m. wearing a light blue sweater and dark suit. Detectives received him and he said nothing as he slowly walked inside past a large media presence.
Weinstein was charged with rape, criminal sex act, sex abuse and sexual misconduct for attacks involving two women, the NYPD said.
The arrest and charges follow a joint investigation between the NYPD and the Manhattan district attorney’s office, police said. Weinstein has been under investigation since last year, and on Wednesday his lawyer confirmed that federal prosecutors in Manhattan had also started an investigation.
“The NYPD thanks these brave survivors for their courage to come forward and seek justice,” the department said in a statement.
Weinstein, 66, is expected to be arraigned later Friday at state Supreme Court in Manhattan. The charges were expected to involve accusations from actress Lucia Evans, who has said that she was forced to engage in oral sex with Weinstein in 2004.
Weinstein, who lost his perch atop the film industry after multiple accusations of sexual misconduct, has denied ever engaging in nonconsensual sex.
The Manhattan district attorney’s office declined to comment Thursday on the expected surrender, as did Weinstein’s lawyer. “Not commenting today,” defense lawyer Ben Brafman said.
In 2015, District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. declined to prosecute Weinstein after model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez filed a complaint alleging that he groped her breasts, and the NYPD had her record a conversation with Weinstein that police felt corroborated her complaint.
News stories last fall about accusations from multiple women, including actress Ashley Judd, about sexual misconduct by Weinstein triggered new investigations by the NYPD and led to his exile from The Weinstein Co. and its financial collapse.
After those reports, Vance came under harsh criticism for his failure to pursue the 2015 case and for his receipt of contributions from lawyers linked to Weinstein. Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo asked the attorney general’s office in March to look into Vance’s handling of Weinstein, an investigation that is ongoing.
By John Riley, Anthony M. DeStefano and Mark Morales